Oct 18, 2008

What's for Supper?

I get a Southern Living magazine every month (I'm not sure why since I never signed up for a subscription) and I found a recipe for grilled cheese and chili...yum! I have been wanted to make it all week and today I finally had the time.

After getting some low-lights put in my hair (I was so ready for a change and I love it) and meeting a good friend for lunch at Central Market (the tortilla soup is amazing) I was able to pick up everything I needed. Jon had to go to Fort Worth for a job so when I got home I cleaned up the house and took Hiro to play at Auditorium Shores since he tends to freak out when Jon goes out of town (last time he destroyed our 4 couch throw pillows). I even washed my car and did a load of landary.

Once everything was done I got to work on dinner (see recipe below). All and all it took me about an hour to make and it is delicious! Since Jon does 99.9% of the cooking around here, I am pretty proud of myself. It will definitely be something I will make again in the future...especially once it gets really cold (well as cold as it gets here in Austin).

I enjoyed a great dinner in a clean house and now I am watching Bring It On All or Nothing. I know...a little embarrassing but a girl's got to get her cheesy movies in when her hubby's gone right? ;)


Here's the recipe

For the chili:
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1lb. ground turkey (I used ground beef because I already had it)
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 (28oz.) can dices tomatoes
  • 1 (16oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup beer
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • Garnish with sour cream
Saute chopped onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 min or until tender; add garlic, and saute for 1 min.
Add turkey, chili powder, and cumin, and cook, stirring for 8 min or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, and cook for 2 min. Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer and stir occasionally for 30 min.

For the grilled cheese
  • butter
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • Italian bread (sliced)
  • provolone cheese
  • mozzarella cheese
Stir together butter and Parmesan cheese and spread over bread slices. Add provolone and mozzarella cheese and cook on a hot skillet/pan until each side is golden brown (about 4 min).

Enjoy!

No comments: