Aug 12, 2011

Lasik…to Do or Not to Do

I’ve been thinking about getting Lasik done. It is something I have been thinking about for a long time, but lately I have been seriously considering it.

Seriously enough to get more information from my doctor, who has been telling for the past 4 years (since I started seeing him) that I would be a good candidate. My prescription hasn’t changed since I got contacts my junior year in high school.

My doctor set me up to get a formal screening for the surgery. The screening went well and it looks like they think I am a good candidate too.

After the tests, the doctor walked me through the Lasik procedure. Actually what they want to do is called iLasik.. Since when does everything get an “I” in front of it. I made me smile since he was showing me all of this on an iPad.

Anyway, he explained the whole procedure. Like every.single.detail.

I should probably tell you that when I first got contacts, my doctor made me stay at the office until I could put in and take out each contact. I was there for what seemed like forever. It took me so long to get used to the fact that I was basically trying to poke myself in the eye.

Since then I have gotten 100% better about the contact thing, but hearing all about this procedure was a little uncomfortable.

So here I am, doctor says it’s a go, Jon says I can go ahead with it and I know it will be awesome to not have to deal with glasses or contacts. BUT I’m not sure I can handle the 7-8 minute procedure. Well, that and I have to wear my glasses for 2-3 weeks straight, yuck!

Anyone had Lasik done or know someone who has? What was your/their experience??

-Lauren-

1 comment:

chankane said...

Question to ask your doctor about LASIK:

Will I "see better"?

They are likely not to answe that. They would say you can "see clearer", or you will no longer need glasses. But will not say "better".