Aug 31, 2011

Taco Soup–Crockpot Style

Today I am linking up at Kelly’s Korner for Crockpotalooza, so if your just stopping by, welcome!

I love using my crockpot in the fall and winter. There is nothing better than coming home to a wonderfully smelling house and dinner made! I have a few crockpot recipes that I like, but this is my all time favorite. I’ve shared it a couple of times already, but it is so good I thought I would share it again.

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped, 1 can chili beans (15oz), 1 can black beans (15oz), 1 can whole kernel corn (15oz), 1 can tomato sauce (8oz), 1 bottle of beer, 2 cans of Rotel (if you want it spicy you could do 1 hot and 1 regular), 1 package Taco Seasoning, and 2-3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Directions:

Place everything except the chicken in the crock pot and mix together. Add the chicken breasts (make sure they are covered by the other ingredient) and set the cooker to low. Cook for about 5 hours. Remove chicken and chop/shred and then put it back in the crock pot and continue to cook for about 2 hours.

*the first time I made this I wasn’t home to take the chicken out so I just let it cook for 6-7 hours. I chopped the chicken just before serving. While it tasted fine, the leftovers were much better because the chopped chicken had been able to soak in the soup.*

This tastes great served with tortillas or tortilla chips, and topped with sour cream and cheese.

Oh and just for the record, we are on day 70+ of triple digit temperatures (yesterdays high was 108!), BUT they are calling for a high of only 98 on Friday. I think I may need to break out the sweaters and make this soup. Haha!

Check here for more great crockpot recipes!

-Lauren-

Oh and our floors look amazing! I tried to take pictures last night but it was too dark. Hopefully I will get some taken today and post them tomorrow!

No comments: