Jan 14, 2009

Random things

So far this week has been pretty laid back. I don't start school until next week so for now I am just working part time which is so nice! I am not looking forward to going back to school next week. I have a great schedule right now that gives me plenty of time to get stuff done around the house, run errands and go out to town lake for a nice walk everyday before it gets dark.

Last night I decided to make soup for dinner. I found this recipe in my Southern Living magazine. Its called Southwestern Soup and it was very easy and delicious! Perfect for the chilly night we had last night.

Here's what you need:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped onion (I didn't measure and just used a whole medium red onion)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 4 cloves because Jon and I both love garlic)
  • 2 (16-oz.) cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (14.5-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes and jalapeños, undrained (I couldn't find this so I used chipotle seasoned diced tomatoes)
  • 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes and mild green chiles, undrained
  • 1 (14-oz.) can beef broth
  • 2 cups frozen yellow and white whole kernel corn
  • 1 (1-oz.) envelope taco seasoning mix
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (didn't have this so I skipped it)
  • Toppings: sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro
Just brown the meat with the onion and garlic, drain and add everything else plus 4 cups of water (I only used 3). Let it come to a boil and then cook on low for 30 minutes. We loved the spicy taste! I will definitely be making this again.

Jon has to leave to go to Colorado tonight :( He will be back on Friday so it will be nice to have the weekend together. My goal while he is gone is to get all the supplies we need to paint our office. I went by Home Depot and got some swatches today. I think we have decided to paint it a color called Sparrow. Its a gray blue color that will be pretty calm and neutral. I also found a color that I like for our guest bedroom/game room. Its called Granite Boulder and is a light gray green color. I think it will be a perfect neutral for a multipurpose room. Since I have a 3 day weekend I am going to get the office painted. Then next time I have a long weekend or I'm bored I'll tackle the guest bedroom. Once those 2 rooms are done all our walls will be done! I will post pictures when I'm done.

We want to paint our kitchen cabinets and the bathroom cabinets but that will be a big job and will probably have to wait until this next semester is over.

1 comment: