May 11, 2010

Two Month Check Up Advice

Aedan has his 2 month check up on Friday and I am looking for some advice. He is going to be getting his first set of vaccines. Since we are doing an alternative vaccine schedule, he is only going to be getting 2 of the 5 recommended shots (we will have an extra appointment when he is 3 months old and get 2 more of the 5, then we are delaying the 5th vaccine for a little later).

Here is were I need some advice…I have heard that some people give their babies a dose of Tylenol (obviously we would do the generic version due to the recall stuff) before going to the check up. Do I need to do that? What about after the appointment, will I need to give him Tylenol throughout that day and night to prevent a fever? Or do I only need to worry about giving him something if he develops a fever?

-Lauren-

6 comments:

The Haynes Family said...

What I've heard recently is that tylenol may weaken immunizations (http://children.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20091015/tylenol-may-weaken-infant-vaccines) so we have stopped giving it to Jackson before his shots. To be honest, we've done it both ways and haven't noticed much of a difference. Of course, the research isn't totally conclusive, but we err on the cautious side :)

I'd go with the advice in the article - monitor him for a fever for 24-48 hours afterwards and call your doctor if he seems sick. He'll be fine though, I'm sure. :) We haven't had any problems with immunizations.

Kelly said...

My pediatrician said do not give them Tylenol before the shots because she needs to know if the little one has a fever before doing the immunizations.

I gave Carter a dose of the stuff when we got home (he got all 5 shots) and he was totally fine. A little sore in his legs so we just did a nice massage and he was fine.

Good luck!

Rene said...

I'd give some after you get home. Our little one was in pain after his shots and the first time I didn't medicate until he was already screaming. The second time I gave medicine as soon as we got home and it was much better. Plus, if you're planning on giving DTap, the tetanus can really make the muscle sore, and it is a much more reactive vaccine. So, from experience, I'd go ahead and give a dose when you get home and see how he does after that...

Lyryn said...

It worked for me! Tylenol always helped! It's more for the being sensitive afterward. Let us know how it goes!

Lari said...

I agree with the previous posts, but I wouldn't give it to him right after just to give it to him. I've always waited to see if Elan "needs" it (is uncomfortable, develops a fever, etc.). If there seems to be a need, I'll give him Tylenol. But if he seems fine (which has been the case 95% of the time), I don't give him anything at all. Good luck! Shots are not fun, but they don't last long. It'll be over before you know it! I say 'you' because that's who it's harder on.

Allison said...

We just went through this last month with Noah. I didn't give him Tylenol before and wasn't planning on giving him any unless I knew he needed it. That afternoon I could tell he was hurting so I gave him some then. I'll be honest, that night was pretty rough, but you'll make it through!