Feb 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Jon

My mom wrote this letter for Jon on his birthday.

To Jon:

Today is my son-in-law’s birthday and for me, that makes it a day to celebrate the special person that he is. Although Dan and I can’t be there to celebrate with him, Lauren and Aedan, I wanted to send this little birthday greeting to him today.

I distinctly remember when Dan and I first heard of this certain someone that Lauren had met that weekend about 7 years ago. When she spoke about this guy, there was excitement in her voice and she told me that she had a “feeling” that something might develop between them. When the time was right and we finally got to meet him, I could tell just how much Jon cared for Lauren and how happy she was when she was with him. Of course, I admit, we were not 100% sure about Jon being Mr. Right, because as parents, you always have that feeling that no guy is ever going to be good enough for your daughter! After seeing them so happy together, those fears soon melted away. I know Lauren and Jon’s wedding day was such a happy one for us all---they truly just seemed meant for each other. When I think back to those times, I realize that while I was happy that Lauren was so in love, I also realized that our family now had a new member to embrace and love.

Through the first three years of their marriage, we all enjoyed getting together and getting to really know each other. I was delighted in the fact that Jon was so devoted to Lauren and I came to really appreciate his many talents in the kitchen. He would whisk dishes away to be rinsed and put in the dishwasher faster than you could say “jackrabbit” and he was ready to help with any food prep that needed to be done. What mother-in-law is ever going to not love that kind of help! I also knew he wasn’t doing these things to impress anyone but because he truly wanted to help.

However, one of the most special times that I watched Jon, was when they brought Aedan home from the hospital. Jon was more than ready to jump in to the diaper changing or do whatever needed to be done to help Lauren. Through Lauren’s blogs (which I am so thankful for), I am able to witness such special times that Lauren, Jon and Aedan share. I see what a wonderful daddy Jon is to Aedan---one who spends time playing, rough-housing, chasing, and teaching. I know that Aedan is so blessed to have a father like Jon for I know that Jon will always do his very best to be there in every way for his little family. To see Lauren so happy and content in her marriage and to know how much Jon loves and cares for her and Aedan means the world to me and Dan.

So on this day, I wanted to share just how important this young man is to our family. Jon has become someone who’s opinion I value, whose computer knowledge has no rival, and is someone whom I can always count on to give a helping hand (literally--as he appears from nowhere to give me a hand to help me get up from the floor after playing with Aedan!). Most of all, Jon is now the son that Dan and I never had and we are so thankful and blessed to have him in our lives.

Happy Birthday Jon! We love you very much!

-Lauren-

No comments: