Apr 17, 2011

Our Garden: Part One

We have wanted to build a garden in our backyard ever since we moved in 4 1/2 years ago…go us for being on the ball on that one. Oh well, life happens.

Recently Jon was over at our neighbor’s house and they happen to have a super nice garden. He decided it was high time we get our rolling. Um…have I mentioned that the only plant I have had luck with is my indoor ivy? I’m pretty sure this thing could live in a closet and be fine. Hopefully we will have better luck with our garden than I have had with plants in the past.

After checking out our neighbor’s garden, Jon decided he wanted to build a similar type fence around ours. Have you seen my husband’s handy work? He build this without plans. Like just had the idea in his head, bought the wood and build it. I was/am impressed. So, I knew he would have no trouble building our garden fence.

Friday night we went to Home Depot to check out supplies. We are the “window shop and then come home and talk before making purchases” kind of people. Aedan had a blast at Home Depot. Now that he is walking, I decided to let him walk with us down the isles. He loved the idea of walking, but the idea of walking next to us not so much. Mr. Stubborn…

Saturday morning, Jon got started clearing away our garden area. I didn’t take a before picture, but basically it was just grass. By then end of the day, he had the spot cleared and holes dug for the posts. We headed back to Home Depot to get the wood.

IMG_4606

Today he has been out working on the fence and is just about done. with the first step. We Jon is going to fill in the frames with wire and then put a ledge to finish off the top. Once that is done, we will make some boxes for the planting area and filling in a pathway with our leftover crushed granite. We are hoping to get it finished up next weekend and start planting soon after that so stay tuned for more pictures.

IMG_4607

While Jon worked on the fence, Aedan and I thought it would be a perfect day for some sidewalk chalk, bubbles and bare feet.

IMG_4592-2

IMG_4585

IMG_4590-2

Love this spring weather!

IMG_4574

-Lauren-

3 comments:

Me said...

Your local farmer's market will have plants that should grow well in this area. My sister-in-law just bought a bunch of plants -- squash, strawberry, zucchini, tomatoes, etc.

Nicki said...

This is awesome - can't wait to see how your garden turns out!!

Chelsa said...

Go you! Hope your garden does great!

When I first started reading I was wondering how you would keep Hiro out of the garden-- insert fence here :) lol!