May 22, 2009

Show us where you live – dining rooms

whereyoulivebutton

Yay, it’s Friday again! It’s time for Show us where you live. This week’s room is dining rooms. We don’t technically have a dinning room, but I missed out on the first week (kitchens) so I’ll show you our dining room/kitchen.

Here is the first picture…

IMG_1099

I LOVE our table, its bar stool height which makes it perfect for parties. It opens up to a full square to seat 8, but we keep it a rectangle for everyday use…although I won’t lie, Jon and I typically eat dinner together in the living room while we watch a movie or a TV show. See the fresh flowers on the table…I try to keep some flowers on the table at all times. I get them from the grocery store (for $4) every few weeks. I got the idea from my sister.

Second picture…sorry its a little dark, I was in a hurry.

IMG_1100

With some help from my mom and her best friend, Jon and I did the walls ourselves last summer and we LOVE them. You can kind of see outside where we are currently building a pergola. I helped Jon out yesterday afternoon and we made some good progress, but he called his friends and replaced me for today and Saturday…goes to show you how helpful I was. Although I can’t say I am sad about it…those boards are HEAVY and it was H-O-T. Anyway, the pergola should be done by the time Kelly features garages and yards so come back!

That’s our dinning area, thanks for stopping by!! If this is your first time, feel free to take a look around. I love making new blog friends so leave me a comment so I can come check out your blog.

-Lauren-

*Update…I realized I never gave any explanation on what we did to the kitchen walls. I’m not sure what the technical term would be, but I call it mudding. We started by applying joint compound over the walls with a trowel. This part goes pretty fast, but definitely takes some technique. In order to look right everything has to be random. Once that was dry, we painted the walls a creamy white. Then we added stain over the walls to bring out the mud texture. Jon wiped on the stain, while I followed behind and wiped it off. All the credit goes to my mom’s best friend. She does this for a living and is amazing! I was lucky enough to work with her a several projects while I was in college. I was able to pick up a few things, plus she was willing to come down and help with the mudding portion of the project.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I get $4 grocery store flowers, too! Dillons, perhaps?
I love your walls - good job.

tiarastantrums said...

what is the wall treatment??

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I love those bar height tables too - so useful! Thanks for sharing :)

annalee said...

what a neat height for the table! i love that. and your fresh flowers too:)

Michelle said...

I love the wall treatment...thanks for sharing your room !!

Pam Bowers said...

Cozy. I'm jealous of your pergola.